The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) is a change that gives EU residents more clarity and control over how their personal data is used. Personal data is anything that can directly or indirectly identify a person, such as a photo, name, bank details, medical information, computer IP address, and so on. This European-wide law replaces the 1995 Data Protection Directive 95/46/EC.
Learn more about how Upwork is complying with GDPR in the Hiring Headquarters.
WHAT DOES THIS MEAN FOR YOU AND UPWORK?
Upwork’s Legal and Information Security and Privacy teams have done the necessary due diligence to be in compliance with these GDPR requirements.
We value our users’ privacy and their rights to control their personal data. Regardless of where you call home, you may delete your account or request the deletion of all personal information we have about you at any time. However, we will only be following the requirements outlined by the GDPR for those living in the EEA. If you live elsewhere, we will be happy to delete your data to the extent we can reasonably do so.
UPWORK DATA PROCESSING AGREEMENT (“DPA”)
For most customers, Upwork’s Privacy Shield Certification is sufficient to govern transfers of personal data that are subject to GDPR. If your company has determined that Privacy Shield is not sufficient, Upwork has posted a Data Processing Agreement (“DPA”), governing the relationship between the Customer (acting as a data controller or processor, as applicable) of personal data under European Data Protection Legislation; and Upwork (acting as a data processor or subprocessor, as applicable).
If applicable, this DPA, including its appendices, supplements the Agreement and will be effective and replace any previously applicable data processing and security terms between the parties as of the DPA Effective Date (as defined in the DPA) and is subject to the Agreement.
HOW DO I SUBMIT A GDPR DSAR REQUEST?
- Download this form and complete it.
- Email the completed form to email@example.com.
- After we receive your email with the completed form, one of our Support Team members will reach out to you with instructions on how to verify your identity, which must be completed in order to process your request
If you are likely to process EU-based individuals’ personal data consider checking out these resources:
- Data Protection Self-Assessment (UK Information Commissioner’s Office)
- GDPR FAQs for Small Organizations (UK Information Commissioner’s Office)
- What you Need to Know About the New Data Protection Rules (Upwork Hiring Headquarters)